Jul 17, 2024  
2018-2019 SDSM&T Academic Catalog 
2018-2019 SDSM&T Academic Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Tuition and Fees - Undergraduate



Tuition and Fees

The following rates became effective May 4, 2018 and are subject to change by Board of Regents action. For current information see the website: www.sdsmt.edu or www.sdbor.edu

Tuition and Fees Resident Non-Resident
Undergraduate on-campus per semester credit $249.70 $391.10*
Graduate on-campus per semester credit $324.85 $652.00
General Activity Fee - per credit $ 48.45 $ 48.45
*Does not include Minnesota rates. For more information, please refer to Minnesota Reciprocity information.
See text below for the description of discipline fees.

Resident Hall Rent - per semester Resident Non-Resident
Single Occupancy $2,229.40 $2,229.40
Double/Triple Occupancy $1,866.00 $1,866.00
Quad $2,086.90 $2,086.90
Deluxe Quad $2,239.60 $2,239.60

* For residency information, contact the Admissions Office or refer to Board of Regents Policy 3:2.

Reduced tuition is available for non-resident first-time freshmen, new transfers, and international students. Those undergraduate students will qualify for a rate of 150 percent of what residents pay. Students already enrolled in the public university system prior to summer 2006 will not be eligible for the new non-resident rate. Reduced tuition is also elementary and secondary school teachers and vocational instructors, and persons 65 years of age or older. Graduate students who hold a state contract for an assistantship or fellowship may also be entitled to special reduced tuition and should contact the Graduate Education Office at (605) 394-1206.

*Students from Minnesota can currently come to the South Dakota School of Mines and Technology at a comparable rate to Minnesota resident tuition under the Minnesota Reciprocity agreement. To apply, or for more information please review Board of Regents Policy 5:5:1.


Application Fee

Non-refundable charge upon initial application for admission. $20 undergraduate and $35 graduate.

General Activity Fee

A fee is assessed for each state-funded course for activities such as student organizations, cultural events, homecoming, student government, student newspapers, wellness center, intramurals student health services, and the Surbeck Student Center operational and debt expenses. The allocation of general activity fees is recommended to the president by students on the General Activity Fee Committee, and the president is the approving authority on how these fees are spent.

Discipline Fees

The Discipline Fees are assessed by course prefix. They are used to support incremental costs of instructional equipment and other operating costs, including salary enhancement for the benefit of students enrolled in higher cost disciplines.

Credit by Examination Fee

This $90.75 fee is charged for each course in which a student seeks credit by examination.

International Student Fee

All international students enrolled on campus with an F-1 or J-1 visa shall be charged the International Student Fee each semester they are enrolled.  This includes degree-seeking students, English as a Second Language (ESL) students, and foreign students enrolled under a cooperative agreement with a foreign institution.

Vehicle Registration Fee

All motor vehicles parked on campus must be registered with the Campus Safety Office. Contact this office at (605) 394-2251 for options, amounts, and appropriate display of parking permit or http://www.sdsmt.edu/Campus-Services/Facilities/Campus-Parking/.

Transcript Fee

A transcript of credits is an authentic copy of the student’s academic record. The charge for each transcript is $9.00.

Payment Process

All tuition and fees are required to be paid in full or other financial arrangement made with the Cashier’s Office no later than August 31, 2018 for fall 2018 classes and January 17, 2019 for spring 2019 classes.   For the student’s convenience, electronic bill and payment services are provided. If no financial arrangement is made by these dates, a late charge will be assessed on the next day. Examples of other financial arrangements may include payment plans, deferments for financial aid, or third party payments. (For a deferment for financial aid, contact the Financial Aid Office.)   Since summer semester add/drop periods vary, check with the Cashier’s Office for final financial arrangement dates for add/drop courses. If no financial arrangement is made, enrollments shall be cancelled.

Late Payment Charge

If tuition and fees are not paid before established due dates, late payment charges will be assessed. If financial obligations are not met when due, student may be administratively withdrawn for the university.


A student who is indebted to the university and does not satisfy financial obligations when due may be withdrawn after notice from the university and will not be permitted to register or receive a transcript of grades or a diploma until the indebtedness is paid. This applies to indebtedness for university tuition, room, board, fees, financial aid, and fines, but not to student organizations. If a student’s account is placed with a collection agency, the student will be responsible for all collection costs, attorney’s fees, and any other costs necessary for the collections of any unpaid balance.

Debit Card System

The South Dakota School of Mines Grubby Gold Card is a money management system activated through each student’s ID card. This account is similar to a checking account or a debit card. When you present your card to make a purchase at participating locations, on and off-campus, the amount will be immediately deducted from your account. Currently, Grubby Gold is accepted at select beverage and snack machines in Surbeck Center and in the dorms, at the bookstore, Hardrocker Café, Java City, washers and dryers in the dorms, copy machines at Surbeck Center and select vendors off campus.

To add money to your Grubby Gold account or check account balances and account history, just create a Grubby gold account online. Look for the link at: grubbygold-sp.blackboard.com/
Self-register by using your student ID number and your name as it is printed on your student ID. If your parents, family or friends know your student ID number, they can also add money to your Grubby Gold account by using the guest deposit feature online.


Withdrawal Refunds Information

Students who withdraw, drop out, or are expelled from School of Mines within the add/drop period (first 10 percent of term, commonly referred to as the census date) receive a 100 percent refund of tuition and course-related fees. Students who withdraw, drop out, or are expelled from the university after the add/drop period for the enrollment period for which they are assessed charges may be entitled to a refund of tuition, fees, and other institutional charges calculated through 60 percent of the enrollment period. The refund shall be determined by computing the percentage of an enrollment period remaining after the date of withdrawal times the tuition, fees, and other institutional charges originally assessed the student.

A student’s withdrawal date is:

  1. The effective date used for students withdrawing from the University is the date that the withdrawal process is initiated in the Office of the Registrar. This notice must be given by the student using the appropriate forms. A withdrawal will not be finalized until a student has returned the completed form to the Office of the Registrar and it has been processed or the student drops all of their courses on WebAdvisor. 
  2. In the instance the withdrawal form is not submitted as instructed above, the institution in its discretion and in accordance with Board of Regents Policy 5:7, will determine the effective date of the withdrawal
  3. Dates for withdrawing from the university will be proportionally adjusted for summer terms of instruction.
  4. Or, at School of Mines option, the student’s last documented date of academically related activity.

Federal Financial Aid Recipients: The U.S. Department of Education requires institutions to use the Return of Title IV Funds policy for students withdrawing from school and who are receiving Federal Title IV student financial aid. Title IV funds refers to the federal financial aid programs authorized under the Higher Education Act of 1965 (as amended) and includes the following Federal Student Aid programs: Subsidized and Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, Parent PLUS Loan, Grad PLUS Loan, Perkins Loans, Pell Grant, Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG), National Science and Mathematics to Retain Talent Grant (SMART), Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) and any other Federal Aid program enacted by Congress. Students are advised to review the information located at: www.sdsmt.edu/FinAid/T4-WD/

See Policies and Definitions  page for further information regarding withdrawals.